Tenant Information FAQ

How do I request maintenance?

Please ensure all maintenance request are completed in writing. Click here to submit a maintenance request online. For EMERGENCY REPAIRS, and to find out what is considered an ‘Emergency’, please see below.

What is considered an Emergency repair?

Emergency items are generally those that could cause injury to the tenant or damage to the property, and may include:

  • Water pipes have broken or burst
  • Blocked or broken toilet (if a second toilet is not available)
  • Serious roof leak or gas leak
  • Dangerous electrical fault, dangerous power point, loose live wire etc.
  • Flooding, rainwater inundation inside the property, or serious flood damage
  • Serious storm, fire or impact damage (i.e. impact by a motor vehicle)
  • Failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
  • Hot water service failure (NOT INCLUDING REPLACEMENT) on a weekend, or long weekend (this would not be considered an afterhours emergency if this occurs on a week night)
  • Fault or damage that makes premises unsafe or insecure
  • Fault likely to injure a person, cause damage or extreme inconvenience

If an emergency repair is required during business hours, please contact your Property Investment Manager on (08) 9921 4555. Should an emergency repair be required after hours then you need to phone the office number (08) 9921 4455 and follow the prompts (leave your name, number, property and problem).

When will Activewest carry out routine inspections?

We will conduct a routine inspection at the property within the first 6 weeks from when you started your lease and entered the property. It will then take place approximately every 3 months after that.

What will happen leading up to a routine inpection?

20 days prior to an inspection taking place, a proposal letter of when we would like to complete the inspection will be posted to you and then 10 days later another letter is sent to confirm date and time of inspection. Please note: Your presence at the inspection is welcome, but not necessary; the Property Investment Manager will use the agency key set and leave a business card advising they have been through.

How can I prepare for a routine inspection?

The main purpose is to provide a report to the owner that you are maintaining the property, and also to check for any repairs and make any recommendations to the owner.

As soon as you notice a problem, complete and submit a Maintenance Request Form for our attention and action. The completed form can be left on the kitchen bench for our collection.

What will Activewest inspect?

Inside the Property

  • Walls/light switches/doorways and doors are clean from marks
  • The carpets are clean and stain free
  • The windows, screens and tracks are clean
  • The kitchen area clean and over/stove top is free of burnt on food and carbon staining
  • Shower, bathroom and toilet, laundry and all tiling is clean
  • All areas and rooms are fully accessible (not locked)

Outside the Property

  • The lawns are freshly cut/edged and maintained
  • Gardens tidy and presentable/weeds removed
  • Rubbish/lawn clippings removed
  • No unregistered car bodies on the property
  • Oil stains removed from carports, garages and driveways
  • Swimming pool/spa – water and sides/bottom are clean

If you have an approved Pet

  • Any droppings are picked up and removed
  • Any pet damage or rubbish scattered is repaired and cleaned up
  • Ensure all/any dogs are properly restrained for the inspection

What are my responsibilities as a tenant regarding smoke alarms?

Should you believe for any reason the smoke alarm(s) installed are not working or the batteries are not functioning, please let us know immediately. Protect your safety by being vigilant and report to us any issues, to ensure your safety in the case of fire.

What’s safety switch & what are my responsibilities?

Safety switches are designed to reduce the likelihood of electric shock should an electrical fault occur. They are designed to prevent injury or death.

They monitor the flow of electricity through a circuit. They automatically shut off the electricity supply when current is detected leaking from faulty switches, wiring or electrical appliances. This stops the chance of current flowing to earth, through a person, electrocuting them.

Are safety switches failsafe?

Nothing is failsafe. Safety switches should be regularly checked. Just like a smoke detector or other safety device, if it is not working properly, it cannot protect.

It is also important to make sure electrical appliances, electrical wiring, extension leads and other electrical equipment are regularly checked and kept in good working order.

How do I know if a safety switch is installed?

Check by looking at the switchboard for a TEST/RESET button. That tells you if there is a safety switch installed. 

Typical switchboard – this shows the main switch, safety switch with test button, and four circuit breakers. All homes have circuit breakers or fuses. These are designed to protect the wiring and appliances within the premises. Only safety switches are designed to protect people.

Testing a safety switch

To test a safety switch, simply press the 'TEST' button. This should automatically trip the switch to the ‘off’ position. Reset by pushing the switch back to ‘on’. If it doesn’t work, contact your Property Manager immediately. You MUST carry out safety switch test every three months.

Why did it ‘trip’?

If a safety switch turns off the power, it may be that a resident could be using a faulty appliance or the electrical wiring may have become faulty. Reset the safety switch. If it trips again, unplug the last appliance used. If everything works okay, take that appliance to a licensed electrical contractor to be checked. If the safety switch keeps tripping, disconnect all appliances and plug them in, one at a time, until the faulty one is located.

*Avoid touching appliances while carrying out this process

Can I renew my lease?

Provided that the owner of the property you’re leasing intends to continue leasing their property, and that your rent has been paid on time, the property has been kept clean and undamaged and the grounds well maintained, you can expect to receive an invitation of renewal. Other factors beyond your control may also determine whether or not your lease will be renewed eg. sale of the property etc.

If you receive a Lease Renewal Notice, it’s important that you let us know whether you accept the renewal or you wish to vacate. We need this advice in writing from you as soon as possible. For more details click here to go to What do I need to do before vacating the property?

Can my rent be increases during a fixed term lease?

From the 1st July 2013, rent can only be increased during the term of a fixed term tenancy agreement if the amount of the increase or the method for calculating the increase is set out in the tenancy agreement (as of Page 10 of 15 on your lease).

Eg: The amount stipulated is a maximum and cannot go over the maximum set out.

Note: Any increase in rent must be no sooner than 6 months after the commencement date of your tenancy and the date of the last increase. We must give you at least 60 days’ notice of the increase.

What happens if I’m late with my rent payments?

At Activewest Real Estate, we understand that sometimes there are unforeseen circumstances that result in delayed rental payments. Although the situation may never apply to you as most tenants pay rent on time, it is important we advise you of the processes involved.

Although we will endeavour to accommodate any extraordinary situations resulting in late rental payments, there is a strict arrears management procedure that will be maintained, regardless of the reason. This is to ensure effective management of arrears and protect the Lessor’s investment.

If you happen to fall into arrears or know that you will be unable to make a rental payment, please contact the office and discuss the situation with your Property Investment Manager.

These actions form our arrears management procedure and occur at the time specified:

Option 1:

  • 1 day late – SMS reminder sent
  • 2 days later – Form 21 Breach notice sent
  • 19 days later – Form 1A Termination notice sent
  • Approx. 10 days later – Form 12 – Application to court for vacant possession.

Option 2:

  • 1 day late – SMS reminder sent
  • 2 days later – Form 1B Termination notice sent
  • Approx. 10 days later – Form 12 – Application to court for vacant possession

Failure to rectify a Breach within the required timeframe will result in a further action being taken.

I’ve misplaced my keys, what do I do?

If you have misplaced your keys during business hours you may come to our office and borrow our office set. The keys will need to be returned by close of business.

If you are locked out of the Property or misplaced your keys outside normal business hours (Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm and Saturday 9.00am to 12 noon) and the Property Investment Manager is required to provide the office key, the Tenant/s agree that a call-out fee of $50.00 will apply. This fee is to be paid in cash before keys are handed over.

What are my general responsibilities as a tenant?

It’s important to show due respect to your neighbours at all times. Loud music, parties and disruptive behaviour can disturb a neighbour’s right to peace and quiet. This is especially true of units and apartments, where there can be little more than a wall between homes. Disrespectful behaviour reflects poorly on yourself as tenants, on Activewest Real Estate as the property managers and on the property owners, and as such, it will not be tolerated.

Can I smoke in my property?

Whilst this isn’t a legal requirement by legislation, our Company policy is as stated in your lease agreement (Section 2.9) Unless otherwise agreed to by the Lessor in writing, smoking is not permitted inside the residential buildings on the premises.

Can I have a pet?

You may must not keep any animal, bird or fish in or about the premises, unless that pet is listed in Part A of the residential tenancy agreement or without the prior written permission of the Lessor.

If you do have an approved pet at your property, you must abide by the following responsibilities:


  • Keep the yard clean.
  • In the event of any fleas or flea eggs being present, you will need to arrange for flea fumigation of the property at your own expense.
  • Cover the cost of any damage to the premises caused by the animal.
  • You must abide by all local, city or state laws, licensing and health requirements regarding pets, including vaccinations.


Failure to comply with these terms shall give the owner the right to revoke permission to keep the pet, and is also grounds for further action.

Can someone transfer onto my lease?

You must seek permission to add people to your lease. Additional tenants will have to complete our application process and sign onto the lease. We may refuse your request if the property is unsuitable for an additional person, or the person you are proposing does not meet our eligibility criteria.

Someone on my lease wants to leave, what happens with their Bond?

IF PERMISSION IS GRANTED for tenants to change/transfer during a tenancy agreement, then the outgoing tenant must liaise and arrange with the incoming tenant to be paid their share of the bond lodged. You must then liaise with us for any transfer of names required on the original bond lodged with the bond authority.

Can I sub-let on my lease?

Subletting is not permitted without written approval from us. This includes assigning the tenancy over to a third party, or allowing other occupants to move in without our express permission. New tenants will have to complete our application process and sign onto the lease. We may refuse your request if the property is unsuitable for an additional person, or the person you are proposing does not meet our eligibility criteria.

What do I need to do before vacating the property?

Once adequate notice has been given, a tenant will be issued with a vacate date. This is the latest date that a vacating tenant is able to return the keys to Activewest Real Estate. A tenant is also required to have all their property out from the property and have left the property in good order. You are required to pay rent until this date, regardless of whether you occupy it in the final days or not.

Tenants are required to complete an exit condition report upon leaving a property. We highly recommend that you make our Vacating Inspection Guide your checklist for the vacating process. This details all your obligations with respect to cleaning, smoke detectors, appliances and so forth. If the property is not left in a respectable condition, we will hire professional cleaners at your expense, this cost will be deducted from your bond.

At the end of your tenancy you will no doubt want your bond refunded quickly after you vacate. For your full bond to be paid quickly, you need to ensure the following:

  • Rent – any outstanding rent is paid promptly
  • Property ready – property is cleaned, carpets professionally cleaned and grounds returned to the their ingoing condition. Please follow the Vacating Inspection Guide. The property must also pass the final inspection conducted by our Agency.
  • Outstanding accounts – please ensure that any monies outstanding for water, any damages, compensations amounts and break lease fees are paid (if required).
  • Keys – ensures all keys, remotes etc. have been returned.
  • Final water reading – can take up to 2 weeks.
  • Bond Finalisation – take care when completing and signing the bond finalisation form. Ensure that all signatures are filled out correctly. All signatures are cross checked with the original paperwork.

Once the criteria have been met, we can start the process to have your bond refunded to you. Allow up to 2 weeks. Delays to this in all cases relate to one or more of these criteria not being met.

Should you need any further information on the vacate process visit our 'Vacating' page

What happens if I don't pay my outstanding rent or damages when I vacate?

If you vacate a property with money still owing and damage to the property, with a court order you could be lodged on a national tenancy database. Even if this is later rectified, your details may not be withdrawn from the database. Your details may still be lodged for 3 years after your debt has been cleared, indicating there was originally a problem. Therefore due to the serious nature of being listed on these databases, we encourage all tenants to ensure all aspects of their tenancy be finalised in full with us before vacating.

More information about tenancy databases...

The national internet tenancy database is a collection of tenancy information lodged by property managers and real estate agents, mostly regarding tenant default action like property damage or outstanding rental debts. All agents use this database to lodge tenant details. However, when agents are processing application forms, this database is also cross-checked.

For specific details regarding the database we use, click here. (www.tica.com.au or www.ntd.net.au)